Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Waiting for Word

Yes, I am apparently, bound for Sri Lanka, hopefully in June. I am currently waiting, ever so patiently, for the exact dates.

Why am I going to Sri Lanka? Well, this Canadian Children's Librarian is off to help several communities, which were gravely affected by the tsunami, to update and revitalize their children's libraries. Both Trincomalee and Batticaloa, are located on the northeastern coast of Sri Lanka. Their public libraries, which were already strained due to years of unrest, sustained considerable damage.

This amazing opportunity comes via the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. They are doing a lot of international development work and have various projects underway in Sri Lanka, library support is just one component.

To say that I am excited about this endeavor would be a huge understatement. To say that I am terrified would be equally inadequate. This is the opportunity of a lifetime and I hope that I can make the best of it. Make a difference.

That's all for now. Hopefully I will have more news soon! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home