Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Monday, May 22, 2006

So do I take the Dukoral?

Now I just don't know what to do. I started the necessary inoculations as soon as I found out about this trip. So I went to the travel clinic and got my first for shot for Hepatitis A/B, a Tetanus shot, and a shot for Typhoid. I was also given Dukoral, an oral vaccine for Cholera and Travellers' Diarrhea, to be taken three weeks before I leave (two doses one week apart). So should I take it? I also have an appointment at the clinic this Friday for the second Hepatitis shot, and some other shot that escapes me at the moment.

I am beginning to think that there may be no point in taking it. I just got a message from Ottawa, and things are not looking good over there. Apparently there was an attack against a foreign NGO in Trinco last week. This is not a good sign, as to date the NGOs had been somewhat immune to the chaos. I get the impression that I will not be getting on a plane anytime soon. I may need to figure out ways to help from here. Sad but true.

Hopefully I will have more news, better news, soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home