Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Survived week one!

Well, it has been quite a week. I have not been this exhausted and exhilarated in a very long time. The group arrived late last Monday night, and we have been going strong ever since. It has been really great. They are lovely people, eager to absorb as much new information as they can. I will post pictures and details just as soon as I can. I just hope that this week goes as smoothly as last week.

I feel like they are becoming more comfortable with Canada, KPL and me, everyday... which is just great. I love that they are more open to me and willing to risk trying to speak English to me. I wish I could be so brave with Tamil. They are eager for me to come and visit them, which mean so much to me. Hopefully someday, not too far away, I will be on a plane to Sri Lanka.

In the meantime, be sure to set your VCRs to tape Provincewide with Diane Vernile on December 24th (yes, Christmas Eve), she came to interview me and is going to do a segment on the project... okay, I am horrified and excited at the same time.

Next weekend, once they have safely boarded their plane, I will finally have time to post some pictures and more details about what we did. In the meantime, I will leave you with my favourite quote thus far... as I finished giving a tour of KPL on the first day, one of the gentleman just shook his head in disbelief and said "Kitchener Library is a whole world!" It is so good to have a reality check, and see the library through their eyes... they do not see the flaws they just see what is great about KPL. I needed that!

Wish me luck for week two!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home