Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Saturday, January 13, 2007

First Impressions

Well, I am getting settled in... yesterday is a bit of a blur. I tried to get myself on Sri Lankan time, but I think that I was just too darn tired. I went out a exploring a bit in the morning, then came back "to close my eyes for half an hour" in the early afternoon and didn't wake up until after five. So I ended up having a quiet and relaxing day. It was quite nice.

I knew that Sri Lanka was hot and humid, close to the equator, etc. and I had seen lots of pictures but some how in my mind's eye I had missed the word "tropical"... yes, odd I know, it is so obvious... it the perfect word... at least from this vantage point in Colombo. It is lush and green, and so fragrant... there is spice in the air, it is wonderful.

Last night I treated myself to a nice dinner in one of the hotel restuarants... sitting outside with a lovely breeze, watching the palm trees, soaking it all in, it was really amazing, I couldn't believe I was there. Too good. Oh and the food was great! I ordered hoopers (I had read that they are a traditional Sri Lankan dish) and a curry ... delicious, though I am pretty sure that I didn't eat it properly... I suspect I amused the staff.

Now today, I feel rested and ready to explore a bit. Rob arrived last night, so I will surely end up having a beer with him at some point. ;-) Then Monday is a national holiday, so I have a couple of days to get organized. Meetings at the FCM on Tuesday, then the Sri Lankan librarians will arrive here in the capital on Wednesday. Now there is talk of Rob and I leaving Batticaloa on the Thursday of next week and travelling to Kandy, and then from Kandy back to Colombo on the Friday for meetings... oh, I really hope that plan sticks! I would love to see a little bit of Kandy. Very exciting.

Anyways, that is all for now. Today I will take some pictures...

2 Comments:

  • Hey Laura! The girls say HI AUNTIE LAURA!!!!!!!! Picture Elisabeth yelling it...and you have the full effect! LOL

    I'm waiting....living vicariously through you! LOL Can't wait to hear more and see photos too!

    By Blogger Jellyarmsrme, at 9:12 PM  

  • sounds great
    glad you are enjoying yourself, take time to absorb as much local colour as you can

    can harly wait to see pictures

    funny I was thinking of having hoopers for dinner tonight too LOL

    By Blogger kathleen, at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home