Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Baked in Batti!

Hello all. Sorry for the delay in posting. Things have been hectic here in Batticaloa. And it is hot. Did I mention it is HOT??? I am a little parboiled at this point (picture Barney Rubble feet), a tad pink, and all limbs are polka dotted with bug bites (don't think they are mosquitoes, but taking my malaria pills just in case).

We have gotten a lot of work done here. And, we have generated some good ideas for programs, volunteers, and more. Seriously struggling with the automation plan. Very complicated. But, hopefully we will figure it all out. A few more hours this afternoon, an hour or so in the morning, and that is it. The time goes so quickly.

Tomorrow (Thursday) we will leave Batticaloa and go to Habarana for the night, then on to Colombo on Friday. In Colombo I will post a bunch of pictures... it would take too long with the connection here.

We have had some interesting times in the last few days. We are staying in a different hotel than last time... it is... ummmmm... interesting. The first night a breaker burnt out and we were each (Rob and I) in our respective rooms with no windows, no a/c, no fan. UGHHHHHH. I have never been so hot in my life. It is better now... Rob and I have the "deluxe" rooms with a/c... so I have to share the quote from the Lonely Planet travel guide I have..."The air con rooms are particularly miserable, dark and dank." Too funny. Rob and I have been "particularly miserable" at times, but we are able to laugh about it over a beer, and we both know that a little suffering is the least we can survive when there is so much real suffering around us.

Okay. Back to work. Hope all is well in Canada. Photos... soon... I promise!

1 Comments:

  • Hi L.J.
    Enjoy the heat.
    Jack Frost painted all the roof tops white Monday.
    See you soon.
    Love Dad

    By Blogger Dad, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home