Sri Lanka Bound ~ A Canadian Librarian Abroad

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Busy Day in Colombo...

Well, I tried to make the most of my day off. Went out exploring Colombo... the guidebooks definitely have it right when they describe it as "frenetic"... that is the most appropriate word. It is busy, and crowded, and a tad overwhelming in places. Rob and I took the bus up to the Fort area (sorry no pictures allowed) near the train station and the "world market." It was all a little too much for me. Between the heat, the noise, the cars, and the people. Ahhhhh. We stopped at the Dutch era museum... which was an interesting, if some what sad experience. It is situated there in the middle of the chaos, a bit of an oasis... but the exhibitions were sad, and I really wanted to get a rag and a bottle of lemon oil and attack the dusty old furniture on display.

After a long, HOT walk (I think I got a little colour today) we stopped at the Galle Face Hotel for a cold beer... what a nice spot to sit and watch the ocean and cool off. There was also a wedding there so it was great to see all of the beautiful women in their amazing saris.

After a breif break back at the hotel, I ventured out again. I wanted to go to a store I read about, Barefoot. So I grabbed a tuktuk and set off by myself. The driver was a little too helpful... took me on a side tour to the "Ceylon Museum of Gems" ... a somewhat questionable setup, clearly a place designed for tourists. I took a quick look around, bought the cheapest thing I could find to be polite, and then finally got to my destination. It is a very cool store, I think I will go back next week before I leave. I then realized that I didn't have enough rupees for the return trip (bad planning) so I walked back to the hotel... which was actually quite nice. Galle Road was not too busy and it was a good walk.

...sorry, I think that I am just rambling at this point. Really I am procrastinating... I need to get everything packed up for the trip to Batticaloa. We will be leaving at 7:00 a.m. So I need to get organized and have an early night.

So that is all for now. I am sorry I have no pictures today. Now remember, I will not be posting again until Friday at the earliest... so don't worry... I will be back soon.

Have a good week,
LR :-)

P.S. Dad - I am sooooo proud of you... not only did you go to the library, but you also figured out how to post to my blog! I am VERY impressed. You made my day! Luv, LR

1 Comments:

  • 5 days with no updates... boring lunch hours at the Cambridge Public Library for Beth! Oh well, looking forward to a nice long post with pictures on the weekend. S & I got together last night (Kip says hello, by the way, I think he was enamoured with you on New Year's Eve...). S and I compared notes on your amazing adventures. We are equally in awe of your completing the implemenatation plan and your $3.50 pants.

    By Blogger LibraryBee, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home